Thursday, August 18, 2011

Attack! for Lung Cancer

As many of you know, my best friend (and college roommate) was diagnosed with lung cancer in December 2009. While we're still waiting for those golden words "she's cancer-free", she is fighting an awesome battle.  It just so happens that a friend here in North Carolina is heading up a very fun Art Auction to be held on September 10, 2011 at Roxy Farms Antiques to raise funds for the local chapter of the NC Lung Cancer Partnership .  Of course, I was "in" as soon as she told me!  Below is my latest piece made just for the Art Auction and what I wrote about it.

Attack!
This piece is made with cotton and wool cloth, wool fibers, thread and yarn. The techniques are hand wet-felting and stitching. The frame is local wild cherry and made by my husband, Charles Minchew.
“Attack!” was inspired by my internet research into what is being used to fight cancer today.  I read over and over that the objective is to shrink, slow, limit, neutralize, or detonate “the bad guys”. “Attack!” is my expression of what it looks like in my mind to watch the good guys pushing the bad guy out of the picture.  Forever.
This is dedicated to Melyssa, my college roommate and best friend, who is attacking her lung cancer right now with gusto! 


All photos Copyright © 2011, Christie Minchew.





No comments: