Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Forrest Greenslade on the Chatham Studio Tour

Here is another artist worth visiting on the Chatham Studio Tour this weekend and next.  Thanks to Forrest Greenslade (sculptor, painter, author) for letting me steal this right off his blog.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chatham County artist and writer, Forrest C. Grenslade, PhD will [have] his new book, Visitations: A Nature-Lover’s Journal at [his studio as part of the Chatham Studio Tour.]


"I was that kid you could always find turning over rocks in streams, looking for what wonders nature would disclose to me," says Greenslade. His curiosity about the natural world, led him to a life as scientist and organizational executive. Now in retirement, Dr. Greenslade is again doing what he did when he was ten years old -- turning over rocks and sculpting and painting the wonders that nature discloses.

Visitations: A Nature-Lover’s Journal is the place where you can capture your own discoveries in your garden, on your walks through your special places, or just in your reveries. Greenslade’s newest book is a collection of his nature-inspired paintings and original poems, coupled with spaces to daily record your experiences in your garden and special natural places.

Along with his new book, Greenslade will exhibit a selection of his ... organic sculptures and paintings, derived from a life-long love of nature and mythology, have a new look and feel. Greenslade’s work is highly stylized yet clearly grounded in the natural world. His relief paintings are sculptural, built up with inches of thick acrylics and modeling paste to the point that they nearly jump off the canvas. His sculptures are enhanced with innovative coatings and patinas producing color, texture and an illusion of movement. His enhanced watercolors are soft and luminous. “I want people to experience motion and emotion in my art,” Greenslade asserts, “so my faces are seldom symmetrical and my figures just can’t stand still.” Greenslade’s use of materials is eclectic. “Because of my scientific training, I tend to be experimental in my choice of media,” he explains. “I use metal, concrete, clay, acrylics, wood, found-objects – whatever tells the best story.”

"I lived a serious life, but now in my dotage, I am just letting the kid out again, " Greenslade smiles.
"It's more fun than an old guy deserves”.


No comments: